Properties of Dot and Cross Product
The dot product of two vectors,is writtenand is equal to
The dot product of two vectors is a number, and has the following properties:
3. Associativity is meaningless for the dot product sinveandare not defined.
4. The dot product of a vector with itself is the square of the magnitude of the vector i.e.
5. The dot product has the propertywhere %theta is the angle between the vectors starting from the same point.
The cross product is writtenand is equal to
The cross product of two vectors is also a vector and has the following properties.
3. Associativity – the cross product is not associative.but
4. The cross product has the propery whereis the acute angle between the two vectors.