Quota sampling is a non – randommethod of sampling a population when a population separates intoseveral disjoint categories.
The Procedure for taking a sample is:
1. Decide on the categories into whicha population can be divided
2. Decide on the number to be sampledin each catgory
3. Collect the data from individuals ineach category unyil the required number of individuals from eachcategory has been sampled
Quota sampling us used when it is notpossible to use random methods, or when a random sample would returnuseless data – would you collect data from men on which brand ofwashing powder they use?
1. can be carried out with small samplesizes
2. costs are minimized
3. quick and easy to conduct
1. since the sample is not random, itis difficult to estimate the error
2. individuals may not be put intocorrect qouta
3. non - responses are not recorded
4. bias may be introduced